A Note for Contributors
Contributors are asked to observe the following house-style conventions when submitting material to The Shandean:
- your title in italics, your name at the end in small caps, followed by your affiliation in italics;
- single quotation marks should be used throughout, with double ones for quotations within quotations;
- dates are given by Day followed by Month followed by Year (e.g. 7 February 1752);
- endnotes must be entered as plain text and not be electronically generated.
Copy deadline: 15 August of the running year.
All references to Sterne's works and Cash's biography should be cited parenthetically, using the following abbreviations:
- TS for The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman. The Florida Edition of the Works of Laurence Sterne. Vols. 1 & 2, The Text, ed. Melvyn New and Joan New. Vol. 3, The Notes, by Melvyn New, Richard A. Davies and W.G. Day (Gainesville: University Presses of Florida, 1978, 1984).
- References to the text of Tristram Shandy are to original volume and chapter, followed by page number in the Florida Edition; thus 'TS, 2.2.98' means: volume 2, chapter 2, Florida Edition p. 98.
- Sermons for The Sermons of Laurence Sterne. The Florida Edition of the Works of Laurence Sterne. Vol. 4, The Sermons, ed. Melvyn New. Vol. 5, Notes to the Sermons, ed. Melvyn New (Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1996).
- ASJ or BJ for A Sentimental Journey through France and Italy and Continuation of the Bramine’s Journal. The Text and Notes. The Florida Edition of the Works of Laurence Sterne. Vol. 6. Eds. Melvyn New and W.G. Day (Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2002).
- Letters for The Letters, Part 1: 1739-1764; Part 2: 1765-1768 . The Florida Edition of the Works of Laurence Sterne. Vols. 7 and 8. Eds. Melvyn New and Peter de Voogd ( Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2009).
- EMY for Arthur H. Cash, Laurence Sterne: The Early and Middle Years (London: Methuen, 1975).
- LY for Arthur H. Cash, Laurence Sterne: The Later Years (London: Methuen, 1986).
Please don't hesitate to consult the Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) before submitting. Offers of articles, notes and queries, and books for review should be sent to: Peter de Voogd, Stadhouderslaan 72, 3583 JL Utrecht, The Netherlands.