Shandy Hall, a mediaeval priest's house extended in the seventeenth century, which was "modernized" by Laurence Sterne, who lived there from 1760 until his death in 1768. Kenneth and Julia Monkman found the house a ruin in 1963, and established the Laurence Sterne Trust in order to restore it to its eighteenth-century state. It is now a museum, owned by the Trust, and open to the public.